Personal information handling practices
The Commission usually collects personal information about individuals directly from those individuals or their authorised representative.
The Commission sometimes collects personal information from a third party or from a publicly available source, but only if:
- the individual has consented to such collection or would reasonably expect us to collect their personal information in this way; or
- if it is necessary for a specific purpose, such as the investigation of a privacy complaint.
凤凰体育网址In certain circumstances, we may collect personal information from other government agencies to assist us to contact members of the public to seek their participation in an inquiry or study.
Use and disclosure
The Commission only collects personal information for purposes which are directly related to its functions or activities, and only when it is necessary for or directly related to such purposes. The Commission will not ask you for any personal information that it does not need. The Commission will only use your personal information for secondary purposes where it is able to do so under the Privacy Act.
凤凰体育网址In some instances, we may use personal information, such as contact details that the Commission has obtained from another government agency, to contact members of the public to participate in inquiries, studies or related activity. If any individual does not wish to participate or continue to participate, we do not use their contact details for any other purpose.
We do not give personal information about an individual to other government agencies, private sector organisations or anyone else, unless one of the following applies:
- the individual has consented
- the individual would reasonably expect, or has been told, that information of that kind is usually passed to those individuals, bodies or agencies
- it is otherwise required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody's life or health; or
- it is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue.
We take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold against, loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse.
When the personal information that we collect is no longer required, we destroy or delete it in a secure manner, in accordance with the Commission's records disposal authority under Archives Act 1983.
凤凰体育网址If you are listed on one or more of our email alerts, you can opt out at any time by using the 'unsubscribe' function in our emails.
The Commission is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the (external link).
How to contact us
凤凰体育网址For further information, please contact the Commission using the following contact details:
By email: email@example.com
Privacy Contact Officer
Locked Bag 2, Collins St East
Melbourne Vic 8003